RcloneView uses ALL System/Network Resources when uploading

First time using RcloneView, I’m trying to Copy/Paste files into a Folder on pCloud, I’m using RcloneView’s Encryption on that folder. However, I have a big problem.RcloneView literally uses every single system or network bandwidth on my system that I literally can’t even open a “browser page” with Edge.The turkey….? I’ve never seen such a thing except like 20 years ago…Now, I know I can “limit” the Network usage, so I’ll try that next.But I’ve also tried adding these codes to the “Global Rclone Flags”, and none of them work.

–no-check-certificate;–ftp-no-check-certificate;–s3-directory-markers;–transfers 2;–checkers 2;–bwlimit 10M;–tpslimit 4;–low-level-retries 1;–rc;–rc-no-auth

I have like “10” or something Transfers trying to occur at the same time, so I’m trying to “limit” the number.
I’ve tried the above, I’ve tried –transfers=2, etc. etc.
Nothing seems to work.

I haven’t tried using “Add Job” yet…. I’ve just tried copy and pasting the files over.
I’ve read that maybe that doesn’t work yet, I have to use Add Job instead?

Anyway, I’ve never seen such a thing with ANY program that it literally takes over ALL Resources. Even other Download programs when set to as fast as possible still don’t USE EVERYTHING the computer has. I can STILL use my browser etc.
So, there seems to be some problems here….

  1. Is Limiting the Bandwidth the only solution?
  2. Do I “have” to use “Add Job” to get the Transfer settings to work?
  3. How do I properly get the Transfers to work?

Thanks…. Happy to see this program. Was worried I might have to use Mountain Duck, seems to be the ONLY other program that will Encrypt files etc.

Thanks for the detailed write-up, and welcome to the forum.

We’ve logged this on our side and it’s being looked into — both parts of it: transfers saturating your system and network, and the Global Rclone Flags not taking effect for copy/paste transfers.

A couple of things would help us narrow it down:

  • Your OS and RcloneView version (and whether the pCloud target is going through a Crypt remote in every case)

In the meantime, it’s worth running the same transfer through Add Job and seeing whether the transfer settings behave differently there. That comparison is useful for us as well, so let us know what you see.

We’ll follow up here once we have something concrete.

Hi, thank you so much for the Reply… I’ll get back to you as soon as I can with the Test Results.
What I have now…

  1. Windows 10
  2. I didn’t try “Non-Encrypted” Copy/Paste Transfers yet. But will do so. So yes, every attempt has so far been trying to upload to a Remote Crypt.
  3. Will try the “Add Job” option…
  4. Using last Rclone version 1.5.10 (oh I see it’s been updated since last week)

Recommended Improvements….

  • We need “Stop” and “Resume” Transfer buttons. Might be good to put them next to the “Trash” icon above the Transfer window?
    When I was having the above issues, I actually couldn’t “stop” the Transfers most of the time using the “X” in the program, nor trying to use the “Exit” in the right-click Taskbar Manager Icon.
    I had to go to “Task Manager” and End Task both the program and Rclone.

Thanks, :slight_smile:

Hi @leeuniverse — thanks for the detailed report, and sorry for the rough first impression. You found a real bug, and it turned out to be two separate problems stacked on top of each other.

1. Copy/Paste ignored --transfers and --checkers. This one is on us. When you paste files in the explorer, RcloneView was starting a separate rclone job for every single file. rclone’s --transfers limits how many files move in parallel within one job — it has no say over how many jobs run at once. So selecting 10 files always meant 10 simultaneous transfers, no matter what you put in Global Rclone Flags. That is exactly the “10 or something Transfers” you saw.

We’ve fixed it: a paste, drag-drop, upload or download now runs as a single rclone job covering everything you selected, so --transfers, --checkers and --bwlimit all apply the way you’d expect. Measured on our side with --transfers 2: it went from 10 concurrent transfers down to 2. The fix is on a branch now and will ship in an upcoming release — I’ll follow up here when it’s out.

2. Your flags may not have been applied at all — please check the dashes. In the list you posted, the flags start with an en dash (–) rather than two ASCII hyphens (--). It may just be the forum’s editor auto-converting them, but if that’s what’s actually in the settings box, it matters: rclone refuses to start with an unrecognised argument, and RcloneView then restarts it with all global flags removed. That would mean none of your flags took effect — including --bwlimit, which does work correctly today.

Could you check the Global Rclone Flags box and confirm whether the characters are -- or –? Retyping the line by hand (rather than pasting) is the quickest way to be sure. We’re also going to add a validation warning so a bad character can’t silently wipe the whole list.

Two other answers to your questions:

  • Is bandwidth limiting the only option? No — but --bwlimit 10M is genuinely your best lever today, because it’s enforced globally by the rclone daemon and isn’t affected by bug #1 (closed). If you retype the flags with proper -- hyphens, it should take effect immediately, without waiting for the fix.
  • Do you have to use Add Job? Until the fix ships, yes — that’s the reliable workaround. The Add Job path has its own transfer settings and honours them correctly. Once the fix is released, Copy/Paste will behave the same way.

One note about --rc and --rc-no-auth: RcloneView already runs rclone in remote-control mode itself, so those two aren’t needed and are best left out.

Thanks again — this was a good catch, and it also led us to find a couple of related issues we’d otherwise have missed.

Thanks — and the part about not being able to stop it is the most important thing in your reply. That’s arguably worse than the original bug, so let me answer it directly.

Why X didn’t stop anything. By default the X button doesn’t quit RcloneView — it hides it to the system tray, and rclone keeps running behind it with the transfers still going. You can change that with Settings → “Quit on close”. We’re also rethinking that default, precisely because it lets a runaway transfer keep running behind an apparently-closed app.

Why you couldn’t cancel your way out. There’s no “cancel everything” button — only per-transfer cancel in the Transfers tab, each behind its own confirmation dialog. With ten separate transfers on an already-saturated machine, that isn’t a usable escape hatch. You’re right, and we’ve opened a ticket for a Cancel All button in the transfer window, next to the trash icon exactly where you suggested.

Stop vs Resume. Stop is straightforward and is in that ticket. Resume needs a caveat: rclone has no true pause/resume. We can stop and then re-run, and since rclone skips files it already copied, that behaves like resuming — only the one file that was mid-flight starts over. Better to say that now than ship a “Resume” button that quietly means something else.

Your version. You’re on RcloneView 1.5.10 and the current Windows release is 1.5.29, so there’s a fair bit of unrelated fixing in between worth picking up. To be clear though, the Copy/Paste fix isn’t in any release yet — I’ll post here when it ships.

Crypt. Worth flagging, but the bug isn’t Crypt-specific — it’s about how many transfers we start at once, so a plain remote hits it too. Crypt just makes it hurt more, since every transfer is also doing encryption on your CPU. Your non-encrypted test will likely still show too many simultaneous transfers, with less CPU burn. Still a useful data point.

No rush on any of it. If you only get to one thing, the dash question from my last message is the one that matters — it decides whether your --bwlimit was ever active.

  1. No worry’s, I’m just happy your program exists and you’re doing great work supporting it. Growing pains are okay. :slight_smile:
  2. Great to hear you fixed the Copy/Paste :slight_smile:
  3. Ya, the Forum put the 2 dashes into 1 single dash. I was following the format you have in the “Global Rclone Flags”. The improvements sound great. :slight_smile:
  4. Ya, the rc and rc no auth I was just trying different things to make it work. Will leave out. :slight_smile:
  5. Ya, the X I just put that in, couldn’t remember at the time. So, yes, I couldn’t exit out the program from the Taskbar either.
  6. Great to hear about Stop Transfer. :slight_smile:
  7. Ah, maybe the “Resume Transfer” Button could do it as you say, and then maybe you can add a Hover “Note” that says how it actually works, that it restarts “Incomplete” File Transfers?
  8. When I have the Updated version I’ll fully test things, cause then I can do my Uploads, and then let you know if any issues. So, I’ll wait for the moment to do the various Transfer Tests, and then we can know for sure how well things are working. I don’t want pCloud to have a spaz attack if I’m trying to upload so many files at once LOL. :slight_smile:
  9. Yes, my “dashes” were correct…. It’s just the Forum that changed them. Though, “Formating” otherwise was a question, if I needed to uses “spaces” or an = Equals sign?

Thank you so much for your work…. Happy to help something good that’s needed.
You’re fitting a “niche” we were definately needing.

Also, I haven’t checked everything yet with your program, but is there a way to “decrypt” our files like with Cryptomater or something if we ever don’t have access to your program, like we can with Mountain Duck?
Thanks again… :slight_smile:

Good news: the Copy/Paste fix is out.

It went in at 1.5.30, and the current Windows download is 1.5.32 (macOS is 1.5.35), so it’s live now. You’re on 1.5.10, so updating picks this up along with everything in between.

What changed: a paste, drag-drop, upload or download now runs as a single rclone job covering your whole selection, instead of one job per file. --transfers, --checkers and --bwlimit from Global Rclone Flags now apply to explorer transfers the way you’d expect. In our test case, --transfers 2 took it from 10 concurrent transfers down to 2.

One caveat so you don’t get caught out: this fix covers the explorer path (paste, drag-drop, upload, download). If you use Add Job, set the transfer options in the job’s own settings, because Global Rclone Flags don’t yet carry through to jobs in 1.5.32. That’s a separate bug, it’s fixed on our side, and it will land in the next release.

Your formatting question: spaces or =?

Both work. Use whichever you prefer:

--transfers 2 --checkers 2 --bwlimit 10M
--transfers=2 --checkers=2 --bwlimit=10M

Separators can be spaces or semicolons, and you can mix them. Quotes group a value that contains spaces, e.g. --exclude "My Folder/**".

The one thing that genuinely breaks it is the character we discussed: a non-ASCII dash. rclone refuses to start on an unrecognised argument, and RcloneView then restarts it with all global flags dropped. To be straight with you, the input validation warning I mentioned isn’t built yet, so until it is, typing the flags rather than pasting them is still the safe habit.

Decrypting without RcloneView

Yes, and there’s nothing to migrate. RcloneView doesn’t use a proprietary container. When you set up encryption it writes a standard rclone crypt remote into an ordinary rclone.conf (its path is shown in Settings). That means:

  • The plain rclone CLI reads the same config and decrypts the same files: rclone copy secret:folder /local/path
  • Any other rclone-based tool can do the same
  • What’s sitting on pCloud is standard rclone crypt, a documented open format, not something only we can read

Worth keeping a backup copy of rclone.conf somewhere safe. That file plus the rclone binary is everything you need to get your data back, with or without us. Treat it like a password file though: rclone obscures the crypt password in there rather than encrypting it, so anyone holding the file can decrypt your data.

Cancel All / Stop

Tracked, not built yet, and I’d rather say so than let it sound done. The batching fix removes most of what got you into that corner (one paste is now one cancellable job instead of ten), but there’s still no one-click “cancel everything”. Same for the Quit on close default, which we’re still thinking about. In the meantime, Settings → Quit on close makes the X button actually exit instead of hiding to the tray.

If you do get around to your upload tests, I’d be glad to hear how pCloud holds up.

Wonderful… Will get to doing a full test, and digesting your info likely this weekend, or as soon as I can. Have gotten into watching BYU games with my sons, so I’m trying to figure out the best cheap way to do it, since they show them on different channels, ESPN+, Fox, CBS, etc., so that’s taking up some of my time. I used to just mostly watch game Highlights. LOL

Sounds great, take your time! Enjoy watching the BYU games with your sons…that sounds like a fun way to spend time together. Hope you find a cheap streaming option soon!